Toxic Foods That Can Hurt Your Senior Dog
Posted October 30, 2008on:
As with oral health diseases that create toxins that are harmful to your dog-so also there are foods that are directly toxic to him. Chocolate is one of the foods that are toxic to your pet. Large amounts of chocolate cause’s coma and death. A smaller amount causes diarrhea and other gastrointestinal problems. How poisonous it is to your pet depends on how much your dog weighs the type of chocolate and the amount eaten. Chocolates that contain more theobromine are more toxic to him. Semisweet and bakers chocolate contain this compound. Dogs like chocolate a lot, but don’t let your pet eat this treat. It can adversely affect the heart and nervous system.
Another food that is toxic to your dog is onions and avoid feeding him baby food because some contain onions. The disulfides sulfides and can harm red blood cells. This causes anemia. Garlic causes the same problem. It doesn’t matter if they’re cooked; powdered or fresh they are bad for your dog. Mushrooms can cause shock and death. All are bad for him but some are more poisonous than others. The ones that grow in your backyard can hurt him and you should pull them up and throw them away.
Nutmeg can be hallucinogenic in large enough quantities. It isn’t good for your dog to go through the trash because moldy food contains toxins and can make him ill causing vomiting and diarrhea and can affect other organs. Macadamia nuts are bad for dogs because they cause gastrointestinal problems, lethargy, stiffness, vomiting, and muscle tremors. Citrus oil extracts can make him sick causing vomiting.
Kellie Rainwater is an avid dog lover. She has written several dog books. You can find her books and senior dog products that promote healthier, happier dogs in their golden years by visiting http://www.seniorcanines.com